"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."
2 Corinthians 4:7 NIV

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Trust Fall


I once participated in a ropes course with a station called “Trust Fall.” 
It did not involve a single rope, but consisted solely of a 3’x 3’ platform about five feet above ground. I was instructed to stand with my heels off the edge and my forearms crossed over my chest. Then when the six-member group on the ground was ready, I was to fall backwards into their arms.

I watched several full-grown people go ahead of me. 
            Not one was dropped. 
Watching someone else made it look easy!
As one of the smallest on the course, I reasoned, “If it worked for them, it’ll certainly work for me.” But as I fell and realized my dependency on something I couldn’t see,

I discovered the true meaning of “blind faith.”

It was terrifying! 
And it was necessary.

We live by faith, not by sight. 
1 Corinthians 5:7 NIV

I’m the kind of person who hates to be stuck behind a truck while driving. The truck could be clipping right along, even exceeding the speed limit, but it doesn’t matter. If I can’t see around it, I don’t want to drive behind it.

Often I’ll change lanes only to find out I was better off behind the truck. Why didn’t I just stay where I was?

Because I don’t like “blind” anything!

I can almost hear Jesus’ words to Thomas, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:29 NIV)

I definitely need help with this whole “blind faith” thing.

Since no man knows the future, who can tell him what is to come? Ecclesiastes 8:7 NIV

God can. But He often doesn’t. Most often He doesn’t.

I’m learning that when God keeps me in the dark He’s got a really good reason.

There is so much more I want to tell you, but you can’t bear it now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. John 16:12-13 NLT

I’m learning that God not only has a good reason for keeping me in the dark,

He’s got a right to.

1 comment:

Katie's Mom said...

I'm so glad I found you again. Thanks for having this forum. Penny C (Katie's Mom).

Related Posts with Thumbnails