"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."
2 Corinthians 4:7 NIV

Friday, June 18, 2010

God's Phone Book



Reading something you’ve written is kinda like pulling out an old picture of yourself. I did that yesterday. I’m not sure why, but I found my way to an earlier blog post about hearing God’s voice. I’d titled the story God’s Due Date, and I’d mentioned my husband says I own “the red phone.” (The hotline that gives you direct access to God.)
The prospect of hearing God’s voice has always fascinated Steve. He believed it could happen, but it had never happened to him. Our daughter received her first “phone call” when she was only 3 years old.

For God does speak—now one way, now another—though man may not perceive it. Job 33:14 NIV

Sarah waited anxiously that day for her daddy to get home from work. When he finally stepped through the door, she ran to greet him.

“Daddy, Daddy! God talked to me today!”

(I confess. I eavesdropped from the other room.)

“God talked to you?” My husband sounded curious, but not convinced.

“Yes, Daddy.” she assured him. “He said, ‘Sair…..ah. Sair…..ah.’”

I couldn’t help but smile at how she drew out her name. Earlier in the day she’d relayed her experience to me in the exact same way.

“Are you sure it wasn’t Mommy calling you?”

“Daddy.” Based on the tone of her voice, I could almost see her determined expression, with hands firmly planted on her hips. “It wasn’t Mommy. It was a man’s voice.”

“Okay, then.” I could hear the love my husband has for his little girl. “What did God say?”

Long pause.

I finally peeked around the doorframe and saw my daughter tapping her index finger to her cheek.

“I don’t remember.”

Steve didn’t see me, even though his eyes flew open wide. “God spoke to you and you don’t remember what He said?”

Fifteen years would pass before Steve learned his name was in God’s phone book too.

Shortly before 4:00 a.m. he awoke to a “very loud thought” in his head.

“Get up. I want to talk to you.”

I remember waking up when Steve left our darkened bedroom. I assumed he was headed to the kitchen for a drink.

But later that morning he told me he’d been jolted awake and drawn to his Bible.

In the darkness of that extraordinary morning, God led Steve to two specific Scripture verses that spoke straight into his heart.

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27 NIV

I asked him if he’d gotten right out of bed when he “heard” God calling him.

“No, I was tired.”

Steve’s next comment reminded me of his incredulous response to our then 3-year-old daughter’s nonchalance over 15 years ago.

“But I figured if God wanted to talk to me, I’d better get up and listen.”

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails