"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."
2 Corinthians 4:7 NIV

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Childlike Faith

Three years ago on a crisp winter morning, I delivered some bad news to my son. My car had died… again. It had been sitting in our garage for several days because we couldn’t afford to have it towed to the shop.
I had been using my husband’s truck to deliver Scott to school each day, but this particular morning he and his truck were out of town. My rote morning routine found me standing speechless in the garage.
I dug my hands into my coat pockets. “Scott, we’re going to have to walk to school.”
My then 9-year-old woefully objected. “It’s too cold!”
No kidding.
A spontaneous, ridiculous thought found its way to my lips before I could rein it in. “You could pray for the car to start.”
Uh oh. I was not in the mood to teach my son that God does not always answer our prayers.
My son clasped his little hands together, bowed his head and pleaded. “Dear God, please start my mommy’s car.”
If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. Matthew 21:22 NIV
I climbed into my very dead car, stuck the keys in the ignition and looked at my son with my best attempt at an encouraging smile. Scott’s hopeful face almost broke my heart.
“Come on, God,” I whispered. “Please do this for my son.” I felt like the man who said to Jesus, “But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” Mark 9:22b NIV
I turned the key and the car roared to life and idled as if it had done so every morning that week.
“’If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.” Mark 9:23 NIV
Scott looked happy and relieved, but in no way surprised as he climbed in and buckled up. My son acted as if the miracle we’d just witnessed was the most natural thing in the world.
I drove straight to the shop after dropping my son at his elementary school. After keeping the car for several hours they couldn’t find a thing wrong with it.

“You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” Matthew 14:31b NLT

Why indeed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails